The Island Government Finance Officers’ Association Spring Conference Report is now available. The IGFOA met in San Antonio, Texas, in June, 2011.
Since 1999 the Island Government Finance Officers’ Association (IGFOA) has met at least annually to participate in professional development and networking activities and to establish an agenda for financial management improvement. The conferences have also provided a forum for participants to discuss common issues and strategies, and to develop a shared agenda for training, organizational development, and technical assistance.
The Spring 2011 IGFOA Conference focused on implementing GASB-54 (Fund Balance and Governmental Fund Type Reporting) and performance improvements in finance office operations. The objectives of the conference were to:
- Review key issues and ideas presented during the GFOA Conference and discuss how they apply to the insular governments.
- Review GASB-54 and apply the new standard in a case study and in individual governments.
- Identify best practices in implementing GASB-54 and how the standard impacts other financial management, budgeting, and legislative practices.
- Review the status of performance measures in finance offices.
- Apply internal controls to the prevention and detection of fraud.