Since 2000, the summer meeting of the Island Government Financial Officers’ Association (IGFOA) has immediately followed the annual conference of the Government Finance Officers Association. The theme for the 110th Annual Conference of the GFOA was “Sharing Solutions and Strategies.” This theme was carried into the 2016 Summer IGFOA Conference, where best practices across the insular governments were shared among working professionals.
The objectives of the 2016 Summer IGFOA Meeting were to:
- Review key issues and ideas presented during the GFOA Conference and discuss how they apply to the insular governments;
- Review the progress of the insular government’s single audits and attempts to measure finance office performance;
- Review Finance Office Best Practices being employed by the insular governments;
- Provide the insular government Finance Directors and Managers with grants management training specific to the responsibilities of finance officers with particular emphasis on the administrative requirements of the recent Federal OMB Omnibus Super-Circular and how it affects finance office operations;
- Introduce a financial forecasting model as a management tool;
- Review recent GASB announcements and requirements; and
- Build government specific plans to address single audit improvement, enhance finance office grant related process improvement, improve financial office performance, and implement the financial forecasting module.